Red Quinoa, Egg and Sausage Breakfast SkilletMay 23, 2013
"Can we have more quinoa for breakfast???" OK, so that isn't exactly a real question that I get asked. But there's no reason it shouldn't be. This dish is full of all sorts of tasty breakfast items: eggs, sausage, tomatoes, cheese, onions & peppers. The red quinoa is just the right thing to bring it all together.
As Vlad, one of my Instagram followers, astutely pointed out, this would be a great Tortilla de Quinoa were I running a Spanish Tapas restaurant. I'd probably make this one of my signature breakfast items, served with some fresh fruit and a churro. After all, I haven't seen all that many quinoa breakfast recipes.
In many ways, this is sort of a skillet version of my Spinach, Ham & Egg Quinoa Cups that I made a few months ago. Just like those, this is super kid friendly. Our 20 month old couldn't decide whether he wanted to pick out the green peppers or the sausage in between shoveling large handfuls in his mouth.
It seems cooking with quinoa is still pretty darn popular. CTA trains in Chicago are currently running a campaign from Ecuador promoting Free Trade and using quinoa as a central part of the ad. That, and the #1 recipe overall on this blog is still my Loaded Veggie Quinoa Sliders.
If you use a cast iron pan to make this as well, and it's really well seasoned, then this will be a cinch. Sometimes baking egg dishes can be a real disaster for whoever is pulling clean-up duty. Just make sure to oil or butter all the way up on the pan walls, not just on the bottom. The butter will also help make for a nice, crispy brown crust.
- 1 Cup Red Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- 3 Sausage Patties (or more)
- 6 Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Your Favorite Hot Sauce
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 Medium White Onion, chopped
- 1 15 Ounce Can Chopped Tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Bring the water to a boil and add the red quinoa. Cook for about 20 minutes over a low simmer until the water has been absorbed. Let this cool before you work it with the eggs
- In a cast iron skillet, cook the sausage patties
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the six eggs and season with salt and pepper
- Add the pepper, onion, tomatoes and cheese to the bowl and mix well
- When the quinoa has cooled, mix it in the bowl as well
- Bring the skillet temperature up to medium and melt the butter. Coat the skillet well with the butter, including up the sidewalls
- Slowly pour in the egg mixture, stir gently and cook for about 5 minutes - until it starts to bubble
- Transfer the skillet to a 350 degree oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. When a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean, the eggs are fully cooked.