Whenever I’m going to grill outside, I like the challenge of trying to cook the entire meal on the grill. After all, smoke and grilling makes everything better, and there are no pots and pans to clean up. Other than your prep, you have a mostly clean kitchen. And in the case of this side dish of grilled broccoli and red onions, there’s also very little prep. Which means even less to clean up!
Start with Full Stem Broccoli
Start with 1 to 2 pounds of broccoli, which should be about 4 full sized stems. I like to buy broccoli with the full stem on, rather than just the crowns, so that I have some pickling material. You can peel the stems and cut them into disks to add to your favorite pickle brine. Pickles were one of my very first recipes on the blog. And it shows from my food photography game back then…
When tossing vegetables in garlic and oil, I always chop the garlic first and put it in the bowl with oil. This lets the garlic work its way into the oil while you continue to get everything else chopped up
Place the chopped broccoli florets and sliced red onions in the bowl and toss them with the garlic oil. Give them some seasoning with salt and pepper and set aside until you’re ready to grill.
This is one of the simplest vegetable side dishes you can make and it gets double taste value from grilling the broccoli and the onions. Broccoli and onions are both the kinds of vegetables where magic happens when they are grilled.
To amp the grilled broccoli and red onions up just a little bit more, add in a medium red bell pepper to the mix along with a couple of shakes of crushed red peppers (the spicy ones). See the recipe below!!
Some other favorite Broccoli Recipes
|Roasted Broccoli and Bacon Salad|
|Roasted Broccoli and Garlic Soup with Cheddar|
|Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Broccoli|
- 1.5 Pounds Fresh Broccoli Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Crushed Garlic
- 1 Medium Red Onion Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Add Crushed Garlic and Olive Oil to a large mixing bowl, whisk lightly and let rest while you wash, chop and slice the rest of the ingredients
- Add the Broccoli and Red Onion, toss well with the garlic oil. Salt and Pepper as needed
- Preheat a grill to about 400 degrees and cook on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Check in on it about every 5-7 minutes and shift around to avoid excessive burning. Burners should be on a medium setting