As I’ve written many times, in the past, there’s nothing I love more than a hot breakfast in the morning. But it’s also something I don’t have time to do every day. This is why I love finding any type of breakfast egg muffins recipe. This idea came to me because of the simplicity of making cornbread muffins from Jiffy cornbread mix. Why not turn them into cornbread breakfast muffins?
Cornbread Breakfast Ideas
Turning ordinary cornbread into a breakfast muffin means adding in eggs, cheese and a meat. In this case, I took scrambled eggs, smokey bacon and some shredded gouda and mixed them all together. Since it actually tasted pretty good, the bacon and egg corn muffin was born.
These could just as easily be vegetarian by adding in heartier, flavorful vegetables like roasted red peppers or sun dried tomatoes. To make up for the missing protein, you could also look at items like quinoa or products like Smart Ground that can keep these vegetarian, but still be a high protein breakfast egg muffin.
How to Make Breakfast Egg Muffins
To keep it really simple, we’re going to go with off-the-shelf Jiffy cornbread mix. This truly makes them easy breakfast egg muffins. Out of the box, you get 6 muffins from Jiffy. With the added cheese, eggs and bacon, you’ll likely end up with about 12 total.
One thing I learned is to not cook the bacon and eggs all the way. You’ll want to leave the bacon a bit undercooked and the eggs a bit runny. They’ll keep cooking in the oven and this will keep them from drying out.
For maximum flavor, I went with a thick-cut applewood smoked bacon and a smoked gouda. Your choice of bacon and cheese is completely up to you….shredded cheddar would be perfectly amazing as well. Just go with a thicker cut of bacon to keep a meaty, chewy texture. Your garden variety thin-sliced bacon will get all crumbly and dry out in this recipe.
So it turns out having cornbread for breakfast isn’t that crazy. I’ve done a similar breakfast recipe before, based on quinoa, with eggs and cheese. Here we’ll make it more of a cupcake with cornbread mix.
If you come up with a really tasty alternative combination or variation, I’d love to hear about it.
Make these Cornbread Breakfast Muffins for a quick and easy breakfast muffin made simply with Jiffy cornbread mix, eggs, bacon and cheese
- 1 Box of JIFFY Cornbread Mix
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheese
- 6 Slices of Thick Cut Bacon
- 5 Eggs
- Prepare the JIFFY Cornbread according to the directions (mix, 1 egg, milk) in a large bowl and mix in the cheese
- While the mix is standing, cook the bacon until not quite all the way done in a large skillet and reserve some of the fat for the eggs
- Tear the bacon into small pieces, reserving about 8 pieces about 1 inch long
- Lightly scramble the 4 remaining eggs and leave them a little runny
- Place at least 8 muffin tins into a cupcake pan and fill them about halfway with the batter
- Spoon in the eggs and bacon and push them into the batter. Press a longer bacon piece on top
- Cook in your oven according to the box directions