Fresh artichokes are really tasty, especially when you get down to that delicious choke in the center, but they are a lot of work. So you’d think that canned, or jarred, artichokes would be a suitable substitute? Not really. It’s not as bad as fresh asparagus vs. canned asparagus, but still not the same.
Thus the reason I had an entire Costco sized jar of quartered artichokes on the pantry shelf.
So here’s a super easy side dish you can make with a large quantity of jarred artichokes. They come out crispy and delicious. If you really want to amp them up, mix some melted butter and garlic in with the egg.
Take jarred or canned artichokes to the next level by giving them a crispy coating
- 1 Cup Panko
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 1/2 Tablespoon Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Papriks
- 1.5 Pounds Quartered Artichokes drained & rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
- In a small pan, toast the Panko over medium low heat until golden brown
- Combine the egg, lemon juice and paprika in a large bowl
- Mix in the artichokes and coat well and then add the panko crumbs
- Spray a 9x9 pan with non-stick spray and pour in the artichokes
- Bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees. Finish under the broiler to crisp them off
- Mix in the parsley before serving