If there’s one thing I love in the morning, it’s a hot breakfast involving eggs, meat, vegetables and a side of fresh fruit. If there’s one thing I don’t have time for, it’s that breakfast I just described. So coming up with healthy breakfast recipes that I can make in advance, which are also delicious, is always top of mind
Breakfast, Snack or Anytime…
These little quinoa egg cups are actually quite filling. They have all the deliciousness of ham, eggs and cheddar, with spinach and quinoa to round them out. When I first made them, I had visions of tasty breakfasts for a full week. Not so much. They were gone in 2 days flat. That’s how delicious they are.
If you came here via the google, you already know that this isn’t the only quinoa egg cup recipe that’s out there. The biggest difference between mine and the rest is that I cook the quinoa first, instead of using it for a crust. Quinoa crust sounded interesting, but I preferred having the fluffy grains mixed throughout and not just on the bottom.
More Quinoa Breakfast Recipes
I’ve since carried this trend forward a little more and have a skillet version using red quinoa, eggs and sausage. It’s enough to feed six hungry people and all takes place in one cast iron pan. Another fun variation is a quinoa crusted quiche with spinach and cheddar.
This recipe for egg cups makes just enough (18) to fill a regulation size cupcake pan. I’m thinking I need to double up next time so that I can stash a bag of them in the freezer…..
- 6 Eggs
- 1 cup Frozen Spinach (cooked, cooled, drained)
- 1/2 cup Ham (small dice)
- 1/2 cup Red Onion (small dice)
- 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Water
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Bring the cup of water to a boil and add the quinoa. Cook the grains over an active simmer for 20 minutes and then let them cool
- Gently beat the eggs and mix in the milk. Lightly season with salt and pepper
- Mix the ham, onion and cheese with the quinoa and fill each tin halfway with this mixture
- Pour the egg on top to just over 3/4 full
- Bake for 20 minutes.