Long ago, I used a store bought seasoning packet called Eggless Salad that simply mixed into crumbled tofu along with some mayonnaise. If I’m not mistaken, the first packet I ever had was a freebie in a race goodie.
While I’d always been able to find it at Whole Foods, one day it was gone and I set out to recreate it. It really wasn’t that hard to make my own. as I came to realize that there was no magic to this packet – it was just ordinary egg salad spices and various dehydrated vegetables. Basically a tofu salad since the other ingredient was mayo.
A Simple Egg Salad Sandwich – Without Eggs
We recently met up with some friends at Chicago’s Lincoln Park Zoo for a picnic on a fantastic summer afternoon day. I was about to make a stack of egg salad sandwiches when I remembered that one of our friends is allergic to eggs.
In my search for a suitable eggless egg ingredients, I discovered that you should make mock egg salad with tofu for the closest similarity in texture. Between the dijon mustard, and a touch of turmeric, you get the familiar color.
After throwing in celery and onion, you’ve got the finalizing crunchy and pop that comes from a classic egg salad recipe.
What to Make with Firm Tofu
For the Tofu, don’t go less than Firm unless you want the final product really loose and watery. Extra Firm has the best egg-like texture, but takes a little more work to press all of the water out. Here I use Firm Tofu, crumble it into a colander and gently drain off the water.
If you’re looking for a vegan egg salad, then look for one of the many vegan tofu mayo substitutes that are out there. Because of tofu’s similarities overall to hard cooked eggs, it’s not surprising to find in many veganegg recipes
Tweaking this Egg Tofu Recipe
Overall, this is a pretty solid base recipe as far as healthy tofu dishes go that you can take in any number of directions. How about curried egg salad? Maybe add in some currants for sweetness instead? There are also plenty who would add potato chunks in there as well.
- 1 Box Firm Tofu
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, Chopped
- 2 ounces Mayonnaise more if you like it creamy
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 stalks Celery finely chopped
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- Press the tofu to remove excess water and crumble it into a large mixing bowl
- Add the turmeric, paprika, parsley, celery, garlic and onion to the tofu and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the mustard, mayo and the teaspoon of vinegar
- Check the seasoning again, this is really all there is to it. Dial up or down ingredients as you see fit or add your own favorite egg salad ingredients.