Quick and Easy Egg Salad -- Without Eggs
|Eggless Salad with Tofu|
This naturally will be a much fresher tasting alternative, with more crunch factor through the use of onions and celery. The familiar color comes from the dijon mustard and some extra turmeric. For the Tofu, don't go less than Firm unless you want the final product really loose and watery. Extra Firm has the best egg-like texture, but takes a little more work to press all of the water out. Here I use Firm Tofu, crumble it into a colander and gently drain off the water.
Overall, this is a pretty solid base recipe as far as healthy tofu dishes go that you can take in any number of directions. How about curried egg salad? Maybe add in some currants for sweetness instead? I tend to sneak in a little more mayo, no matter what. And real mayonnaise too...not the low fat variety or something with "whip" in the name. While technically that puts eggs in the dish, use an alternative if you're seeking a true eggless alternative. Now to truly make this a healthy lunch meal, you may want to just bag the mayo altogether.
|Drained, Mashed Firm Tofu|
Tofu Eggless Salad Recipe
Make a tasty Egg Salad Sandwich with Tofu instead of Eggs
Prep time: Cook time: Total time:
- 1 Box Firm Tofu
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 ounces Mayonnaise (more if you like it creamy)
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 stalks Celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- Press the tofu to remove excess water and crumble it into a large mixing bowl
- Add the turmeric, paprika, parsley, celery, garlic and onion to the tofu and mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the mustard, mayo and the teaspoon of vinegar
- Check the seasoning again, this is really all there is to it. Dial up or down ingredients as you see fit or add your own favorite egg salad ingredients.
Copyright (C) 2012 Simple Awesome Cooking